Few weeks ago at work, I was tasked with updating the BIOS and Vmware View Agent on out of warranty HP’s t5545 clients. The purpose was to support a newer release of VMView. The catch was being comfortable with Unix and updating packages in a certain sequence. Rather than have one more IT person squirm, I had thought pay-it-forward with this extended set of instructions after some “trial and error” and reading HP documentation.
A. Verify BIOS and VIEW agent.
- Boot TERMINAL.
- Click HP START menu.
- Select ADMINISTRATOR/USER MODE SWITCH.
- NOTE: The default password: Administrator/administrator or root/root.
- Under GENERAL TAB.
- Verify release BIOS VERSION, (i.e. 786R5v.2.00 vs. 786R5 v2.02).
- Click SOFTWARE INFORMATION tab.
- Verify VMWARE-VIEW-CLIENT (i.e. 4.0.1-1 etc. vs. 4.6.0-366101-1).
B. Backup HP THIN CLIENT
- Click MANAGEMENT tab.
- Insert USB stick.
- Select HP THINPRO IMAGE, click NEXT.
- Select MAKE A COPY OF THE HP THIN PRO IMAGE.
- Create a BOOTABLE USB FLASH DRIVE.
- Click FINISH. Click YES to CONTINUE.
- TERMINAL will RESTART and backup. CLICK OK when done. CLICK CLOSE.
- DOWNLOAD and COPY INSTALL FILES to USB DRIVE.
- NOTE: This makes the drive bootable version of Unix for T5545 client.
C. Configure USB Drive with Updates
- Download WES Add-On (Configure BIOS Settings) (International) sp49355.exe.
- Extract files to: Windows system: C:\SWSetup\SP49355\LFlash\
- Copy LFlash directory to USB drive.
- Download Thin Client Add-On – VMware Horizon View Client (International) sp52674.exe.
- Extract files to: C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP ThinPro\Add-On\View46\VMVIW3\
- Copy VMVIW3 to USB drive.
D. Update HP THIN CLIENT IMAGE
- Place USB into drive restart system.
- When prompted to run YES, and confirm YES.
- Wait for the flashing yellow prompt to power cycle.
- Remove drive after restart.
- NOTE: Some terminals had required the HP’s DOS version of their OS to load the BIOS update.
E. INSTALL VIEW SOFTWARE on HP THIN CLIENT
- After restart logon to Admin Tools.
- Logon to TERMINAL.
- Plug drive into usb port on front.
- List drives: fdisk –l
- Mount USB Drive, example: mount /dev/sda1/
- CLI will return path in error message “mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or navigate to the /tmp/ path for usb drive (i.e. /tmp/tmpfs/media/K*)
- Change directory until you locate (i.e. cd VMVIW3)
- List directory contents: ls
- Run: fsunlock
- Run: dpkg -i *.deb
- Run: flock
- Restart System
HP t5545 Thin Client Drivers ( hp.com)