Periodically, someone will had visited my desk to inquiry on the membership of any one or multiple groups within Active Directory. Here is a simple clean way to collect the data you require without losing your mind with format exports.
Pre-Requisites: PowerShell Module for Active Directory.
1. Collect the group names you want to review (i.e. Domain Admins, Account Operators).
2. Create a directory named scripts on your Windows system (i.e. C:\scripts).
3. Place the names of groups on separate lines in file (i.e. c:\scripts\identity.txt).
4. Launch PowerShell Module for Active Directory.
5. Copy and paste the following command:
Get-Contents C:\scripts\identity.txt | Get-ADGroupMember -recursive | fl name,SamAccountName | out-file C:\scripts\members.txt
NOTE: -recursive switch will cover any nested accounts.
6. Example of contents of c:\scripts\members.txt
name : ellen.ripley
SamAccountName : ellen.ripley
name : bishop
SamAccountName : bishop
That’s the quick easy way to produce group membership for your finance or general IT audits with PowerShell.
How to Install the Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell (mikepfeiffer.net)